Digital vs. analog

Reading an article in the latest issue of British Esquire about how much part of our lives the digital medias are, I got to thinking about my own relationship and use of digital on an everyday basis.

The article (part of it found here: http://www.esquire.co.uk/2010/12/the-shocking-truth-about-dad-part-one/) describes how "addicted" most of us are to the digital stuff that fill up our lives.
PDA, iPods/iPhones, Facebook, Twitter etc. etc. For instance, having a Blackberry or iPhone actually makes most people work an entire week for free every year, because they simple never turns the damn thing off and therefore always are available for work-related matters...

But the thing that really made my bell ring, was the idea of people actually getting more and more distant from eachother as a result of social digital medias such as Facebook.
That really made me think of the way I myself had begun using Facebook more and more to stay in touch with friends far away. Why don´t I just pick up the phone and give them a call???


Furthermore it got me thinking if I really need all the parts of my digital stuff (iPod Touch running Omnifocus for my GTD-system, Laptop and cell phone).
The phone is quite necessary for keeping in touch when I´m out and about, but having the ability (and more importantly the need) to check email when I´m out, I don´t really need.

I new years resolution is therefore:
To decrease my own addiction to digital medias. Staying more disconnected and thereby getting more productive and more connected to the people and the world  around me.

Comments

Popular Posts